The bad news is you have a lot of red or white stripes zooming across your skin. The good news is there are a lot of different ways available to get rid of stretch marks these days.
What are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are considered scars in the skin. This happens when there is tearing in the dermis. These marks usually appear red to purple in color, which will gradually fade in time.
There are two types of stretch marks: new ones which are red or purple and old ones which are white. Once they turn white they are impossible to completely remove without medical intervention but with creams they can become much more faded so they aren’t as noticeable.
What are the causes of stretch marks?
As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of causes as to why stretch marks develop. Contrary to popular belief, rapid weight gain, rapid weight loss, and pregnancy are not the only causes of stretch marks. Other contributing factors include: prolonged use of corticosteroid and steroids, genetic disorders, and growth spurts.
Effective ways to get rid of stretch marks
There are a lot of different options but some work better than others:
• Use creams or serums that contain cocoa/shea butter and aloe. These are all effective ingredients that will help you get rid of stretch marks with regular use. This is the best solution, especially for those who do not have a large budget, but are serious about getting rid of their stretch marks. Creams are preferred because they are safe and easy to use.
We review a new stretch mark cream each month so click here to see our latest review.
Creams work on both old and new stretch marks.
• IF YOU ARE NOT CURRENTLY PREGNANT OR NURSING – a good tretinoin cream can help your skin heal through collagen. As a side note, pregnant women should be careful about using this cream. The full effect of tretinoin to your baby is still not fully understood, so DO NOT USE WHILE PREGNANT.
• Another treatment option is pulsed laser therapy. This method helps the skin by promoting the production of collagen and elastin, both of which are important for the skin’s elasticity. This treatment is said to work best for newly formed stretch marks that are less than 6 weeks old.
• If your stretch marks are old already, you can try microdermabrasion. This treatment works on the outermost layer of the skin while promoting new skin growth.
• Aside from microdermabrasion, doctors may also suggest you try Excimer lasers. This method promotes melanin development, which will help you achieve a more even color of skin.
• You can also opt for a chemical peel treatment that uses glycolic acid. This method will help you by activating skin regeneration.
• Some home remedies for stretch marks include lemon juice, potatoes, aloe vera, egg whites, and alfalfa.
• Always stay hydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to restore the skin’s elasticity.
There you have it. Just follow the tips we have listed above to help you get rid of your stretch marks.